Monday, May 18, 2009

WEEK - 16 PACHUCA, MEXICO

The Elders get together for some P-day "Futbol" fun ! ! ! !
Querido Familia,
Whoa what a week! We weren’t sure if we were going to have a meeting until Friday. As soon as we found out we went telling every member we saw that we were going to have servicios, and everyone told us “Thanks, but we already know.” We’re always the last ones to find out! It was so great to go to Church! I learned we take for granted some things like the Sacrament. We weren’t able to take the Sacrament for a month! Technically, we ( the missionaries) were considered inactive. Haha!
Saturday the 16, (the day before Sunday, the NIGHT before Consuelo and her family are supposed to be baptized) we went to Consuelo’s house at 7. We get there, and as we walk in I thought I heard a whisper that said “She doesn’t want to be baptized tomorrow.” Sure enough, the first thing Consuelo tells us is that she doesn’t want to be baptized tomorrow, but in a week. My heart sunk, I’m sure I probably made a funny face. Elder Sander acted like it wasn’t a big deal, I think a lot of people say that in the mission. We just talked to her, and told her about all the blessings that she’s going to receive. Her sister was there. This sister, Rosalinda, never has been interested in listening to us, but this night she was basically telling Consuelo that we were right and she needed to be baptized. She never said that night that she wanted to be baptized. We just went on to say “You’re going to need a change of clothes, sandals, a towel…and a smile” And that was basically the last thing we said about it. All during this her sister was peering over The Book of Mormon, reading very intently. We told her we’d like to talk to her as well, and promised her the Book has blessed our family and will bless her life. She held the Book up and looked at us and said..
“THIS Book has blessed YOUR family?! I want these blessings!....But I’m not going to be baptized” “Yes hermana, it’s okay. If we mark a chapter will you read it?” “YES!!...but I’m not going to be baptized!” It was so great to hear and SEE the example of Consuelo to her family. We left her 3 Nephi 11 and Moroni 10:3-5. I’m sure she’ll be baptized.
Well, Sunday finally came. We were praying all the night before and that day that Consuelo would come with the four things we told her she needed. We got to Church and…. What do you know?! Consuelo was there with Joel and Leilani with all their stuff in a big bag.

At 12 o’clock, we started the Baptismal service. We had the wonderful, sacred opportunity to help three of our heavenly siblings take upon themselves this covenant. I baptized Consuelo first, she was shaking because she was so nervous (probably the only person there as nervous as I was!...maybe.) Then I baptized Leilani. I didn’t explain very well that you need to hold your nose, and she came out of the water gasping for air…oops. Elder Sander baptized Joel after. It was the greatest feeling ever! I was so happy, but not just because we “baptized three”. These are real people, who through study of the Book of Mormon and prayer, changed. We saw the Atonement working in the lives, the change that can only come when we accept the gospel.
I’m so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed us with this success. We are doing this 90 day study of the Book of Mormon, and we’re in Alma right now. I’ve learned so much! Things I’ve never seen before (I think I’ve said this already, but it’s true. Every day!) I promise that when we read the Book of Mormon with a sincere prayer, we will receive personal revelation. In Alma, if I’ve learned anything I’ve learned that success comes from the Lord. Also, something I read this last week was something that came to mind after Consuelo’s baptism.
Alma 29:10. "10- And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me."
THAT is real joy, when we see children of our Heavenly Father coming unto Him. I’m so happy, I really can’t describe it. I think I could go the rest of my mission on this joy that I feel. I’m ready to go out there and get doors slammed in my face over and over again, just to find that family or individual that is prepared and ready to hear the Gospel.
This last week we found two “jovenes” or teenagers. Enmanuel y Cristina are progressing. Our only problem is that it’s hard to find them! Enmanuel goes to high school in the day, and at 10 he goes to work cleaning mcdonalds and gets home at 7 in the morning. Cristina works all the time, she was smoking 5 times a day but we foudnd them (again, not really us) and took them to Church. She hasn’t smoked- ONCE! She said her friends even offered it to her! This Gospel is amazing. I know this Church is true, I know Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. I know that as we strive to come closer to Him, HE comes to us too. The Book of Mormon is true, and has the power to change lives. I’m thankful for examples like my parents and grandparents that keep reading that amazing Book. You’re a great example!
I love you familia, thanks for all your support!

No comments: