Monday, August 17, 2009

Week 31 - Pachuca

HOLA FAMILIA!
The Lord really blessed us this week. We went to our District meeting last Tuesday, and we received about 10 referrals! We received one from other missionaries in our District, saying that this couple was “oro” or golden.
We decided we would go visit them with the Relief Society’s son at 7 o´clock last Tuesday. He helps us out a lot and is a great help. Anyways 6 o’clock came around and I had written down that we needed to meet up with him at 6, but Elder Mora had 7. We decided to go double check, and when we got there, the Relief Society President, Hermana Norma, was talking to two sisters, I didn’t recognize one of them, and the other we knew. As we walked in Hermana Norma said “Oh! Fallen from the sky!” haha… The sister I didn’t recognize was the sister who we were going to go try to find at 7! Her name is Yadira, and her husband’s name is Raul. They are a miracle! Yadira is an inactive member, and knew that her sister in law (the sister we already knew) was a member. She went to her sister in laws house looking for US! The sister in law took her to the Relief Society President and there she was when we walked in. (I hope I’m explaining okay, I’m writing fast)
Raul and Yadira took a trip to Oaxaca two weeks ago, because Raul is a truck driver. When they were there Raul met a member, and while they were working this member talked to him about what we believe, the Book of Mormon-basically everything! They talked all through the night one night about the Church. The member gave him his first copy of the Book of Mormon and Raul started to read it. Well they got back to Pachuca, and Raul told his wife they were going to church! They went to Church and that’s how we got the referral. This brother really is one of the children of our Heavenly Father who is looking for the truth, but doesn’t know where to find it. After Raul talked with the member in Oaxaca, he stopped smoking and drinking. We set his baptism date the first day there, but he told us that he might be leaving for his work in a few weeks. We talked about it after and decided between us we should put his baptismal date one week before. When we got to their house to teach the next day, he asked us FIRST if he could be baptized one week before he left! I feel so grateful that Heavenly Father blessed us to find this couple. Raul has read into 2nd Nephi already, and has felt the power that only comes from our Heavenly Father to change lives. I think its hard for us to realize just how hard it is to stop smoking! He stopped and hasn’t smoked once.

Heavenly Father really does prepare his sons and daughters to hear this glorious gospel. I feel so blessed to be a part of this work! I don’t know if it’s the same in the states, but we get the Liahona every month and for this month there was a talk by Elder Octaviano Tenorio about Success. http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=08e38b707a312210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

It really impressed me, and I realized I can apply it to the work. He said to have success we need to have concentration, effort, and joy in what we’re doing. He shares some pretty cool experiences. Elder Mora was here when he came to speak to the missionaries. He said Elder Tenorio locked himself in a room and studied English all day and all night, only stopping to eat and sleep every now and then. Wow! I know if I have that kind of dedication the Lord will bless us with success.

The Bishop asked Elder Mora and I to give a talk in Sacrament meeting next week! I’m just a Little nervous. I pray the Lord will help me know what to say to the people in our Ward so they will WANT to give us referrals! I think I’m going to share Grandma and Grandpa’s story, and how they have always been member missionaries.

This past weekend we had Stake Conference. The people here in Mexico surprise me all the time. They are so humble, and know where their blessings come from. The Spirit was strong in the meeting and I know our investigators felt that Spirit testifying to them that what they were hearing was true.
This really is the work of the Lord! I know the Church is true, and I know that the Book of Mormon is true! I know as the people we teach ask with a sincere heart they receive an answer. I know Jesus Christ lives and is our Savior and Redeemer. I’m so thankful to be here in Mexico! I love sharing the gospel with everyone I can meet. I feel so disappointed when they don’t want to listen, but it just makes me want to work harder to find those who really want the blessings now!


Love you all!
Con Amor,
Elder Rasmussen

No comments: