Sunday, March 29, 2009

MTC - Week 6

02/25/09
Hola Familia y amigos!
What a great week! I hope you all had a good one too!

I want to start off by telling you about something so cool that happened here. There is a place called the R.C., Referral Center. You know those pass along cards you give out? Well when people call it comes HERE. So we go and answer phone calls and chats and actually call people. Our district set a goal last Tuesday to get 25 referrals where we send the missionaries over. Well we went Tuesday, and I called for almost an hour and got answering machiens THE WHOLE TIME! It was disappointing. So we went back on Thursday, Wed is p day, and again- nothing! So we went in on Friday, our scheduled R.C. time, and I told Hna. Nash that I wasn't getting anything. She told me that sometimes the Lord tests our faith before we have success. I just kinda shrugged my shoulders and kept making calls. I decided I should pray and by the end of Friday I had 5 referrals. Now here's the cool part.. We set the goal for 25 by Saturday, Saturday comes along and we still need some. But we all prayed and told Heavenly Father we had faith that we could reach our goal. We went to the R.C. that day and by the end of the day we had 34! It was so cool. I had some great experiences, I talked to a lady in a rest home. She had called me and needed help with a word (agency) and after I told her what it was and explained it I asked if she wanted the missionaries, and she said "Oh yes! I know this is true with all of my heart! I can just FEEL it!" It reminded me of what Elder Ballard said last week, people feel its true long before they know its true. I know if we set a goal and put our faith in the Lord he will help us.

Last Saturday we were talking as a companionship and decided we really wanted the Gift of Tongues. In Preach My Gospel it says part of getting the Gift of Tongues is by Struggling for it. So we thought, "How can we do this better??" Cuz of course Spanish is a struggle but we  
 
to know how to do it better, you know? So we made a goal...again! Sunday rolled along and we started un ayuno de comida (regular fast) asking the Lord for help in our next goal of AYUNO DE INGLES!! (English fast) We fasted all day Sunday and when we went on our Temple walk we found a bench that was kinda quiet (theres hundreds of missionaries taking pictures at the temple) and plead with Heavenly Father for help with this goal. When we got up from that prayer we broke our fast and started a new one... for Two years! No Ingles. Nada.
Now it SOUNDS a lot easier than it is. Trust me. I've caught myself speaking English many a time, while Elder Israelsen is ONLY speaking Spanish, .like I should be! We mostly just don’t' talk at meal times, it's too hard. But we're doing it- all the time. In personal study- I study in Spanish, with my English stuff next to it of course. And in Comp. study, we study in Spanish. If we don’t' understand we say it in Spanish first and then in English. The Gift of Tongues is real! I can FEEL it already. And it's only Wednesday! Words from my freshman year of Spanish are coming back to me and it is really amazing!

We are officially halfway there, we are on "Week 6" and we leave on 9! So I was released as District Leader and Elder Bertin is our new one, he'll do great! He used to always ask me if I got the mail, just to be funny. Now it's my turn to bug him, "Did you get the mail?" haha, just kidding! It was kind of a relief actually, but then they put me in as Senior companion! I don't do nearly as much though, no meetings!
I learned so much in my time as DL. I learned what not to do, and what to do better if I ever get called in the field. I went to some awesome trainings with my Branch Presidency that taught us about leading by the 121 section. I'm very thankful for the chance Heavenly Father gave me to do that!
Elder Daryl H. Garn came last night, wasn’t' he our dentist?!? It's been bugging me, I can't remember! He is in the second quorum of the 70 and said he was a dentist in Mesa. I know I've heard that name before! He talked about agency, it was awesome!

Hope you enjoyed the package!
Te quiero mucho!
Elder Trevor Rasmussen

ps- Tell Cherisse and Kathe thank you for the packages they sent me, my district and I liked them a lot!

No comments: